St. Mary’s Secondary School, Newport operates as a Catholic co-educational Secondary School, to provide teaching and learning of the highest quality for the benefit of the community which it serves.
In pursuing this mission we aim:
- To provide a quality educational experience that caters for the full range of academic aptitude and abilities.
- To foster the intellectual, physical, social, cultural, moral and religious development of our students.
- To enable pupils to achieve their full potential academically.
- To promote the Catholic ethos and faith.
- To cater for the needs of the local community in so far as ethos, resources and facilities permit.
St. Mary’s offers a quality educational service geared to the needs of our students in ever changing times. Students can follow their programme of studies in an environment that is more than suitable and free from many of the distractions that can often hinder progress. We offer a wide and varied curriculum within the confines of difficult economic circumstances. The school has done a lot in recent years to upgrade its ICT equipment and this is a process which is on going. Each classroom in our school is now fully furnished with new laptop computers, new data projectors and stereo speakers. It is hoped that this technology will greatly enhance the learning experience of our students and prepare them for the knowledge economy of the 21st century.
The school situated on the edge of Newport occupies a spacious site and this enables us to provide sporting facilities of the highest quality. Sports hall, basketball courts and a large grass pitch enable our students to pursue plenty of sporting interests. Hurling, Camogie, Athletics, Soccer, Athletics, Gaelic Football and Rugby are just some of the sports that are on offer in our school. The staff of St Mary’s work tremendously hard to ensure that as many sports opportunities are provided for our students as possible and take every opportunity to encourage student involvement in sporting pursuits.
Visit the CEIST – Catholic Education An Irish Schools Trust website